The supportive services offered at Shire House guide clients toward mastering skills in self-management, needed for independent living. Supportive services include, but are not limited to the following:
Executive Functioning Skills
- Structuring and managing of one’s day
- Structuring and management of personal daily responsibilities
- Managing school and work Responsibilities
- Able to recognize, express and understand own feelings
- Able to self regulate and manage feelings such as anxiety or frustration
- Able to recognize others feelings and respond accordingly
- Able to transition to new situations or schedule changes
- Community based independent living model
- Introduction and practice of social skills
- Management of family, friends, and opposite sex relationships
- Providing social opportunities
- General organization
- Grocery and personal shopping
- Planning and preparing meals
- Home maintenance and management
Academic Support and Guidance
- Guidance in class or course selection
- Enrollment process
- Management of class structure, syllabus, materials, and timelines
- Development and practice of self-advocacy skills
- Obtaining a tutor or school services
- Regular review of client’s grades
Physical Fitness Instructor
Our physical fitness instructor works with our clients to discover a physical activity that they will enjoy and continue doing long term or creates a program that will lead the client to a desired fitness level or teaches the client to strengthen a physical activity the client is already participating in.
Along with our in-house Social Mentors, Shire House contracts with outside therapeutic services such Behaviorists, Speech Therapists and other specialties. We also assist the client in finding, obtaining and attending other therapeutic services according to their particular needs and or have the clients continue to see their existing therapeutic service provider.
Job Search Mentoring and Guidance
Shire House has the client attend outside employment and job skills development organizations and agencies. Shire House helps the client maneuver their way through the process of scheduling, transportation, and all other areas of the actual job search and gaining of employment. Shire House supports the client with the various issues that might present themselves to someone being a new or first time employee.
We support the ExpandAbility Autism to Work Program by providing housing opportunities/accommodations to their out of town/state program participants.
- Mastering the use of public transportation
- Driving skills tutoring and practice and test taking